Sunday, March 28, 2010

Day 4: Africa Day

So they give us the day off from classes to sleep in and rest and then wake us up at 0830 to do a lifeboat drill? Assholes. Literally we have the entire day off from classes and all everyone was looking forward to was sleeping in. Everyone needed that. They came on the loudspeaker at 0830 to tell us that we’d be doing another lifeboat drill. The entire day is free. And yet we have to get up at 0830. I understand the importance of the drill, but honestly wait til atleast 1000. I can’t even imagine who thought that this was a good idea. I’ve never seen a more pissed off group of people. This was worse than the lifeboat drill leaving Hong Kong when everyone was hung over. That one made sense, this one didn’t.

After attempting to go back to sleep I eventually gave up and went to the gym earlier and worked out for over an hour on the bike. Then stretched out on the 7th deck. It had been dark and stormy when we all woke up, but it was starting to clear up so I thought maybe I’d get to tan and relax.

I got a salad on the 5th deck and showered and went back upstairs to lay out. By then the wind had picked up and was blowing so hard it was blowing my laptop across the deck. So that was a no go. The bow wasn’t even open due to high winds. No one was around because they all went to Abel’s great white talk. He told us he’d give that to us in class in a few days so we shouldn’t go.

I watched some movies on my computer til Tania came back. We watched the Hannah Montana movie then got pizza up on the 7th deck. By dinner time everyone slowly came out of hiding for a family dinner. We haven’t had a family dinner in awhile so it was nice. We relived all the old school Nickelodeon cartoons and shows. The boys, being like 8 years older, knew of ones we’d never heard of. They make us feel so young sometimes. The waves had picked up around 1700 and were crrrrrraaaaazy big. Like beginning of voyage big. The swells were getting horrific and things were flying around the dining hall. Then we went out to the smoking deck to look at the waves. You’d look off the side and a wave would come and you’d only see water and no sky.

If you looked off into the distance to the starboard side you could see a few boats and as the sunset there were lights sparkling on the horizon. AFRICA!! The first sighting! So exciting.

I now find myself sitting in the hallway typing up yet another FDP for Abel and listening to some Bassnectar. The clocks go back another hour tonight. We’ll now be only 6 hours ahead of east coast time. So crazy that we’re catching up that quickly. 2 more days of classes then we’ll be in South Africa!

Oh yeah, today was Africa day. There were some seminars and talks about different things in Africa, but honestly between Pre-Port, Anthropology, Abel, and Global Studies I feel like I learn so much. Today was finally a legitimate day off. All other days off we’ve had have been like Olympic Day or Neptune Day where we get up early and do stuff all day. So today was a relaxing day of nothingness.

Things in our room keep breaking randomly, Tania and I are pretty convinced it’s haunted. I actually had a dream a few nights ago that it’s haunted. So that wouldn’t shock me. Some of the rooms on the ship are haunted.

I’ve been told 38 days til we’re back in Florida? That’s absolutely ridiculous. Wasn’t I just in Hong Kong? It’s started to get cold again as we get farther from the Equator. That water in South Africa is supposed to be cold. So I can’t imagine diving at the moment. I’m trying not to envision that. Especially after the warm waters in Mauritius.

Final thought, a quote by Erve Chambers from a book I’m reading:

If home is truly where the heart is, it might be equally possible that travel is where the imagination has thrived.

With that, I’m off to write some papers and go to bed. Love you all.

No comments:

Post a Comment