Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Day 1: Back on the Ship, but still in Cape Town (B18)

I woke up at 0755 to sprint off to 0800 class. But not before I looked out the window to see if we’d headed back out to sea off to Ghana. No such luck. We were still in port and it was sunny. Nothing sucks more than being in port in the coolest city ever and not being able to get off.

Marine Biology was perhaps the most useless class to go to ever. I shouldn’t have even bothered to go. Today’s lecture was on sharks. It was the exact lecture he’d given to us one of the first classes in Biology of Sharks. I wish he would have warned us of this before, that way the 5 of us in that class wouldn’t have had to go.

After class I got back into bed and watched movies in bed til lunch at 1130. Nic, Tania, Sam, Brandon, and I went up to the 5th deck. Still in port. At least it was a good lunch. The lettuce was green! It had gotten really bad right before we got to Cape Town and was brown. The pasta was even good and there were chocolate brownies.

After lunch I got back into bed and watched a movie and fell asleep almost immediately. I woke up at 1530. I slept through Global Studies. I figured I’d go if I woke up in time, but wasn’t going to go otherwise. No one went.

So I showered and found Becca. As we were swapping pictures we started pulling out from port. We went up on the 7th deck to take pictures. We never take off during the day, so we never get great views and pictures like that. It was ridiculously windy. If you jumped up into the air you got pushed back several feet. Pretty sweet. We took a ton of pictures of the mountains and everyone who was out there. The seals were playing around in the harbor and so were the birds. The last wildlife we’ll be seeing for a little while.

At 1730 we went to dinner with the fam on the 5th deck. Dinner was good. Fresh lettuce and good pasta. Since then I’ve been hanging out on the 3rd deck with random people as they walk through and getting pictures from people. I’m exhausted and can’t wait to get into bed again. I won’t be up for much longer. We turn the clocks back again tonight, so I’ll get another hour of sleep. Very much needed. I don’t think I ever got more than 4 hours of sleep a night in Cape Town, and with very good reason. There was so much to do and so much more I would have loved to do. I will for sure be coming back. I think I want to live in Cape Town or somewhere in South Africa. It’s beautiful and the people are so friendly. Very different than the United States. There’s some good and some bad, but I love it. So if I ever run away from home, there’s a good chance I’ve gone to South Africa to live with the sharks and hippos, two of the greatest animals.

No comments:

Post a Comment