Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Day 2: Back on the Ship/First Day at Sea: The Day Ketchup Let Me Down

So I guess you could say karma bit me in the ass for not going to Global Studies yesterday. I woke up at 0900 and showered and got ready and everything. I even went and got tea for breakfast. I walked into the union. We don’t have class today. Sweet. But now I’m dressed and awake with no class. None of my friends even could have told me that since none of them went. Wonderful. I guess that’s also a sign that I should be getting some work done on my papers and finishing up my blog.

1100 Biology of Sharks. Discussed great whites and what we saw in Cape Town and South Africa in general. About half of the class had gone shark cage diving. Abel hadn’t seen any, he was a little upset about it, so we couldn’t dedicate the entire class to talking about sharks. Oh well.

1215 lunch on the 5th deck with Nic, Tania, Sam, Nolan, Brandon, and Mason. Toby even came by for a little while.

1400 Anthropology. Not too exciting. After class I went off to the gym to work out on the bike and the stairmaster. A gloriously intense work out. Then abs and stretching out on the deck. It was nicer out than I would have thought. It looked a little ominous out with the swells and white caps, but the sun was shining when I went out on the 7th deck port side.

After a shower it was almost dinnertime. We had a family dinner up on the 5th deck. Nothing too special. The pasta wasn’t too great, so perusual I put ketchup on my plate to give it some flavor. If you know me, you know that I love ketchup and will put it on EVERYTHING. Pasta in particular. This was the most disappointing night of my life. I never thought that ketchup would let me down. That day came today, Tuesday April 6, 2010. Cape Town/South African ketchup is not real ketchup. It’s almost tasteless and a little bit sweet. It is horrific. That is what we’ve acquired on the ship. Fake ketchup. I have never been so upset. I have little faith in my food now. I feel betrayed.

Becca and I went up to the 7th deck after to get more food. Dinner wasn’t too great, so a chicken sandwich was very much necessary. The sun was just setting when we’d gotten up there. Soon after it was pitch black and started to get chilly. It was probably in the 60’s. I was in my India genie pants and a tshirt. Way cold for me. While sitting up there we ran into Isaac. We all ended up chilling and talking for awhile. There weren’t many people up there, so it was the perfect time to play ping pong. We managed to figure out a way to include the three of us into a game of around the world on the ping pong table. It gave us a pretty good workout.

When we were hot and out of breath we took a break and sat with Jenny and Sarah. Almost an hour later we were freezing again and had to come inside. I was exhausted, so I did my reading for Marine Bio. Abel assigned a few chapters late in the afternoon. I skimmed over them and got in bed and passed out early. I was exhausted.

No comments:

Post a Comment