Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Day 6: B20

0800 Marine Biology. I didn’t want to go at all when my alarm went off at 0745, but Nic knocked on my door. I told her I’d meet her up at breakfast. So I gathered my stuff and went up. Class was less than thrilling. But I handed in all 6 of my papers for both of Abel’s classes.

Global Studies was cancelled, so I was done with class by 0915. I worked some more on my Marine Biology homework then went off to the gym at 1000 and spent an hour on the bike. I stretched out on the deck. It was so hot and humid out. Usually there’s at least a breeze or something. Not today. I went a full body print of my body in sweat on the deck. Most attractive thing ever.

After showering I figured I’d go and get some tea to get some energy to do more work. I was now exhausted from an intense biking session. Tania, Nic, and Kyle were at lunch so I sat with them and made myself a PB&J. Mason joined us and so did Sam. We ended up staying down on the 5th deck for another hour just talking. Off the starboard side someone spotted whales and we all rushed out back to see them. I don’t know what kind they were, but we could see them spouting out water as we cruised along.

I went downstairs and gathered up all my books and work and went back to the 5th deck dining hall to do work with Victor. Nothing productive got done, we ended up talking for the entire hour I was there. He went to class and I went back to my room to work there. I gave up after awhile and laid down to watch movies before dinner. Becca called and asked to get sandwiches up on the 7th deck. We ran into Nic and Tania up there eating as well. No surprise. It’s all of our favorite things. I had the roast beef sandwich for the first time today. Ohmygod, that thing is delicious. Even the mention of it is making me hungry.

At 1800 we had a family dinner up on the 6th deck. It was Chris’ birthday so dad/Midhun bought us all ice cream. We ate outside and saw the most beautiful sunset. It was still somewhat humid, but not nearly as bad now that the sun had set. So the Field Office, where Midhun works on the ship, got wind of the “arranged marriage” we were trying to set up and thought it was amazing. They made up applications to apply and had people fill them out. One of the teachers filled one out. It was so funny. There were about 10 of them. One of the girls who’s in our family and works there, too, brought them to dinner for us to review. They even included pictures. This was by far the best idea we’ve had on the voyage so far.

After a good laugh over the applications, we shared our pictures and stories from South Africa. Victor and I showed our fake picture of us riding a dolphin while being chased by a great white. We all sang to Chris and chowed down on the free ice cream. It tastes so much better when it’s free.

After dinner Becca asked me to go to services out on the front of the 7th deck. They were saying prayers and singing songs to remember the Holocaust victims. We got out there early and there was no one out there. It was pitch black now and the stars had started to come out. We could see so many. I couldn’t get over it. They were everywhere, all the way down to the edge of the horizon. We laid down for about 10 minutes to just admire them while we waited. I saw a shooting star! It was so romantic, and we joked about how great it was to spend these romantic moments together. I feel as though we’ve had many where we’re questioning where our boyfriends are.

A ton of people turned out for the prayers. They lit up a candle and had a moment of silence. It was really nice. Especially out there under the night sky in the eastern Atlantic.

Soon after, at 2000, we had Pre-Port for Ghana. It went on forever and ever. It almost killed me to sit there. I brought my computer, but what good does that do me? It’s not like I can surf on the internet. And the email that I can access moves slower than molasses. It was over an hour and a half long! Nonsense.

After it ended they had us stick around to draw out the different Seas to determine the order we all get off the ship in Ft. Lauderdale. I can’t believe we’re already thinking about Ft. Lauderdale. It’s giving me the shivers just writing that right now. The first Sea off is the Red Sea since they won’t the Sea Olympics back in early March. They drew out the Yellow Sea second! I was pretty shocked, I feel like we’re always last for everything. We are kind of slow and sloth-like. Mom, I know you asked me awhile ago if knew when I’d be getting off the ship. I will be the second group. I wasn’t sure when I wanted to get off, first, last, somewhere in between? But I figure it’s better to get off towards the beginning since we have to go through customs and all that with our millions of bags. Plus who wants to draw out the whole goodbye process? It will be hard enough. But that’s the worst when it’s drawn out.

I just remember coming home from Island School and it literally went on for like 12 hours. We’d say goodbye as we got onto separate buses then meet up at the airport. Then say goodbye again as we got on separate airplanes that all took us to Ft. Lauderdale. Then we’d meet up and say another goodbye as we flew to different parts of the country. Then we got to Boston and we said our final goodbyes. Emotionally, I cannot do that again. Actually, that’s kind of weird. I returned to Ft. Lauderdale from Island School and that’s exactly where I’m returning to from Semester at Sea. Strange how these things work out.

Anyways, not much else happened after Pre-Port. We made plans to meet up in the morning to figure out what to do in Ghana. We’re getting into Tema, we’re not going to be in Accra like everything says. Accra’s a good hour drive from the ship. Everything in Ghana that’s worth doing is several hours away from the ship. I’m a little confused what I’ll be doing tomorrow, but there’s a bunch of us.

Oh, and I know a few people made comments about how after India I’d be out of the sex trafficking areas. Nope. Ghana is supposed to be bad. Worse than Vietnam and India. I thought Vietnam would be the worst. I felt really safe there. I’m not sure how I’ll feel here. At Pre-Port when Crabtree got up front at first he asked how many people were excited to get off the ship in the morning and the response was so small. It was funny. Everyone’s really worried. Hmmm. We shall see what Ghana brings mañana. I need to get some sleep, my eyes are closing right now as I type this. Goodnight and wish me luck! I love and miss you all. I’m home really soon. Today is April 10, so 25 days til I’m back in Ft Lauderdale.

No comments:

Post a Comment