Sunday, May 2, 2010

Day 2: B23: THE LAST DAY OF CLASSES ON SEMESTER AT SEA/The 101st day of the 101st Voyage

It’s the very last day of classes on the ship! I woke Nic up for Marine Biology at 0800. She was not looking so good. Apparently she spent all of last night up puking with the Amazonian food poisoning bug. She said she might be up for class. I told her I’d tell Abel she was sick.

I grabbed a bunch of boxes of Rice Crispies at breakfast to stuff into my bag for later. I sat down with Tania and two random people. Then went off to class. Marine Bio was pretty useless. We did an evaluation and that was basically it. He let us go after 20 minutes. Nic showed up to hand in some stuff for Abel.

I got back into bed after class to nap before Global Studies at 0930. I didn’t feel too great still from being sick a few days ago. When my alarm went off for class I decided to keep sleeping until 1115 and just go to the 1400 Global Studies class, the one I’m actually signed up for.

I got up to go to the gym at 1130. I had been able to sign up for the treadmill last night because so many people were too sick or hungover to even comprehend the gym for today. I got up there a little early to hop on the treadmill for a little extra time. I started feeling sick as I ran. I wasn’t even sprinting, just a light jog and I was struggling. I stayed on for about 20 minutes before I got off and went back to my room to shower, not even bothering to bike or do abs or stretching.

When I got out of the shower and dressed, Sam was at the door asking me to record my piece for the Global Studies project. It only took a half hour and I was done. I’m pretty much done with that entire project now. Everyone has to record their pieces and then we have to burn the disc. So close to being completely done with that class. JOY!

I had a brownie that Nic and Sam had stolen from the dining hall, but still had no appetite from whatever sickness I have. We all hung out until Global Studies at 1400. Nic dragged herself up to the Union with me. It was the best Global Studies we’ve had. It was all speakers talking about the semester in general and how they’ll miss the ship and the people on it. Warner, the librarian gave the best talk. Brian also gave a good talk with a bunch of random stats and numbers. At the end there was a group of students that sang. It was so sad. Nic and I wanted to cry when it was over. This was the first time we’ve really felt like we’re coming to the end of our voyage. It’s sad.

Nic and I decided we couldn’t be alone after that depressing thought and hung out in her room with Sam. Becca joined us soon after. She was cheerful. She had just gotten to steer the ship for a half hour. That was the big thing that she purchased in the silent auction. She said that it was awesome.

We continued working on Global Studies. Shannon recorded her piece. It was almost dinner by this point. Nic and I opted out of dinner because we didn’t feel well. I did some work out in the internet café. Everyone else went off to dinner. At 1800 I went up the 6th deck dining hall to celebrate Bea’s birthday, now that everyone was out of isolation and recovering. A bunch of people showed up and we sang happy birthday to her. Victor ordered a huge sheet cake. It was a vanilla ice cream cake. It was so good. We took a ton of pictures and shared the extra slices of cake with other people in the dining hall. Patrick was talking to our table and was asking how we were all doing after the Amazon. Apparently only one or two people in their group got sick. Then he started laughing at the person who puked all over the stewardess in the back of one of the planes. Everyone erupted in laughter and pointed to me. He told me that people had been talking about that and how great it was. I’m glad people know me.

Little Andrew and Lizzie Finn came over and crawled all over us and got a bunch of cake. Stacey was babysitting them and wasn’t too pleased to find this out. Oh well. She should have been paying more attention to them. After the cake I got a small bowl of soup in hopes of getting some real food in my body, but I had to force myself to eat it with a roll. Still zero appetite.

After dinner I did some more Global Studies and chilled with people downstairs. We had a group meeting and tried to put more of the project together. We’re almost done. Hopefully by tomorrow night it will be completely done. When we finished up our meeting I came back to the cabin to do some reading for tomorrow’s Global Studies exam. There’s about 80 pages of reading. I’ve done all except for 15 of it. I’m saving that for tomorrow morning. For now I’m going to get some rest and try to get better/get rid of whatever sickness it is that I have. Tomorrow will be one week until Ft. Lauderdale! So close!

No comments:

Post a Comment